Dr. Ye was trained as a polymer chemist (Ph.D.) at University of Science and Technology of China (USTC). He manages a core research facility at University of Kansas (KU) that provides multi-scale structure/property characterization of materials and material/tissue interfaces. He has been praised as a highly collaborative leader, very skilled at designing new approaches to address complex problems related to the characterization of tissues, biomaterial/tissue interfaces, and biomaterials development. Faculty, staff and students in bioengineering, mechanical engineering, chemical and petroleum engineering, and chemistry frequently seek his advice in the planning, implementation and troubleshooting of a wide variety of experiments, and the interpretation of data. At KU Institute for Bioengineering Research (IBER), he is actively involved in the development of novel biomaterials that can be used in the repair and reconstruction of oral and craniofacial tissues.
- Polymeric Biomaterials
- Radiation Polymerization
- Vibration Spectroscopy
- Thermal Mechanical Analysis
- Functional Imaging of Material/Tissue Interface
- Society For Biomaterials, 2007-Present
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy, 2007-Present
- International Association of Dental Research, 2005-Present
- American Association of Dental Research, 2005-Present
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, A Misra, C Tamerler, P Spencer*. New silyl-functionalized BisGMA provides autonomous strengthening without leaching for dental adhesives. Acta Biomaterialia 2018, in press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2018.10.033
- R Parthasarathy*, A Misra*, LY Song, Q Ye, P Spencer. Structure–property relationships for wet dentin adhesive polymers. Biointerphases 2018, 13: 061004.
- LY Song, XP Ge, Q Ye*, K Boone, S Xie, A Misra, C Tamerler, P Spencer*. Modulating pH through lysine integrated dental adhesives. Dental Materials 2018, 34, 1652-1660.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, A Misra, C Tamerler, P Spencer*. Fabrication of hybrid crosslinked network with buffering capabilities and autonomous strengthening characteristics for dental adhesives. Acta Biomaterialia 2018, 67, 111-121.
- Q Ye, P Spencer, E Yuca, C Tamerler. Engineered Peptide Repairs Defective Adhesive-Dentin Interface. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering 302:1600487, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/mame.201600487 (featured on the cover of the journal)
- F Abedin, B Roughton, Q Ye, P Spencer, K Camarda*. Computer-aided molecular design of water compatible visible light photosensitizers for dental adhesive. Chemical Engineering Science 2017, 159, 131-139.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, JS Laurence, P Spencer*. Probing the neutralization behavior of zwitterionic monomer-containing dental adhesive. Dental Materials 2017, 33(5), 564-574.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, A Misra, C Tamerler, P Spencer. Self-strengthening hybrid dental adhesive via visible-light irradiation triple polymerization. RSC Advances 2016, 6: 52434-52447.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, A Misra, P Spencer. Mimicking nature: Self-strengthening Properties in a Dental Adhesive. Acta Biomaterialia 2016, 35, 138-152.
- F Abedin, Q Ye*, LY Song, XP Ge, K Camarda, P Spencer. Effect of Partition of Photo-initiator Components and Addition of Iodonium Salt on the Photopolymerization of Phase-Separated Dental Adhesive. JOM 2016, 68(4), 1090-1099.
- XP Ge, Q Ye*, LY Song, JS Laurence, P Spencer. Probing the dual function of a novel tertiary amine compound in dentin adhesive formulations. Dental Materials 2016, 32(4), 519-28.
- SR Esteves*, MF Huhtala, AP Gomes, Q Ye, P Spencer, SE Goncalves. Longitudinal Effect of Surface Treatments Modified by NaOCl-Induced Deproteinization and Nd:YAG Laser on Dentin Permeability. Photomedicine Laser Surgery 2016, 34(2): 68-75.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, A Misra, P Spencer*. Tris(trimethylsilyl) silane as a co-initiator for dental adhesive: Photo-polymerization kinetics and dynamic mechanical property. Dental Materials 2016, 32(1): 102-103.
- F Abedin, Q Ye*, K Camarda, P Spencer*. Impact of light intensity on the polymerization kinetics and network structure of model hydrophobic and hydrophilic methacrylate based dental adhesive resin. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials 2016, 104B: 1666-1678.
- LY Song, Q Ye*, XP Ge, V Singh, A Misra, JS Laurence, B Cindy, P Spencer*. Development of methacrylate/silorane hybrid monomer system: Relationship between photopolymerization behavior and dynamic mechanical properties. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials 2016, 104B: 841-852.
- Q Ye, Abedin F and Parthasarthy R, Spencer P. Photoinitiating Systems in Dental Materials. In Photopolymerisation Initiating Systems, Edited by: Jacques Lalevée and Jean-Pierre Fouassier, Royal Society of Chemistry Book, Chapter 11, RSC: Cambridge, UK, pp 297-336, 2018.
- Q Ye, P Spencer. Analyses of material-tissue interfaces by Fourier transform infrared, Raman spectroscopy, and chemometrics. In Material-Tissue Interfacial Phenomena: Contributions from Dental and Craniofacial Reconstructions Eds. P. Spencer, A. Misra. Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials: Number 124, Elsevier: London, pp 231-251, 2017.
- P Spencer, A Misra, Q Ye. Fundamentals of the material-tissue interface in dental reconstructions: Structure/property relationships and characterization. In Material-Tissue Interfacial Phenomena: Contributions from Dental and Craniofacial Reconstructions Eds. P. Spencer, A. Misra. Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials: Number 124, Elsevier: London, pp 85-111, 2017.
Published Abstracts & Associated Presentations
- P. Spencer*, LY Song, Q Ye, X Ge, A Misra, CB Tamerler. Novel Hybrid Adhesive Designed with Buffering Capabilities and Autonomous Strengthening. Society for Biomaterials 2018 Annual Meeting April 2018, Atlanta, Georgia.
- O Bim Junior*, X Ge, Q Ye, MT Atta, F Abedin, P Spencer. Novel Co-Initiator/Co-monomer (TUMA) Improves the Polymerization of Phase-Separated Dentin Adhesives International Association of Dental Research (IADR)/ American Association of Dental Research (AADR) / Canadian Association of Dental Research (CADR) 2017 Annual Meeting March 2017, San Francisco, California.
- P Spencer*, Q Ye, C Tamerler. Engineered Peptide for Adhesive/Dentin Interfacial Integrity. Academy of Dental Materials (ADM) 2016 Annual Meeting October 2016, Chicago, Illinois.
- Q Ye*, LY Song, XP Ge, A Misra, P Spencer. Novel Self-Strengthening Hybrid Dentin Adhesive via a Facile Visible-light Irradiation Triple Polymerization. 10th World Biomaterials Congress May 2016, Montreal, Canada.
- P Spencer, Q Ye*, E Yuca, C Tamerler. Peptide Engineered Adhesive/Dentin Interfacial Integrity. 10th World Biomaterials Congress May 2016, Montreal, Canada.
Ongoing Research Support
- Peptide-Polymer Engineering Dentin/Adhesive Interfacial Bond Integrity, supported by National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research, R01 DE025476-01 (Multi-PI: Spencer & Tamerler, 2015-2020) $1,519,336 (total costs) Peptide engineering design, synthesis and development of novel dentin adhesive formulations that provides disinfection and remineralization. Role: Co-Investigator
Completed Research Support
- Proton Sponge Adhesives, Interfacial Milieu: Molecular Structure-Mechanics, supported by National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research, R01 DE022054-01 (Multi-PI: Spencer & Laurence, 2011-2016) $1,813,385 (total costs) Design, synthesis and development of novel anti-cariogenic dentin adhesives. Role: Co-Investigator
- Administrative supplement: To understand how the SRCR domains of the full-length gp340, accomplish binding to dentin adhesives and to use this knowledge to inform refinement of the adhesive formulations, supported by National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research, 3R01 DE022054-04S1 (Multi-PI: Spencer & Laurence, 2014-2016) $176,221 Role: Co-Investigator
- Co-initiator and co-monomer for use in preparing polymer related compositions, methods of manufacture, and methods of use. Inventors: XP Ge, Q Ye, P Spencer, JS Laurence. WO Patent, Publication number 2016149488A1, Application number PCT/US2016/022860, Filing date, March 17, 2016