Dr. Fischer joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2000. He holds secondary faculty appointments in both the Departments of Orthopedic Surgery as well as in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Sciences at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He was previously a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh (1995 – 2000). Early in his career, Dr. Fischer worked at Boeing Commercial Airplanes as a systems engineer and in manufacturing research and development.
Dr. Fischer conducts research in musculoskeletal biomechanics. He has served as an Associate Editor for the ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering and has published over 30 refereed articles.
- Mechanics of Materials
- Computational Mechanics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Society of Biomechanics
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- American Society for Engineering Education
1. Frazer LL, Fischer KJ: Evaluating the Effects of Various Meniscal Attachments and Material Properties on Femoral Bone Stress. Journal of Musculoskeletal Research, Vol. 21, No. 1 (2018) 1850003, DOI: 10.1142/S0218957718500033.
2. Frazer LL, Santschi EM, Fischer KJ: Stresses are Elevated on the Periphery of Subchondral Bone Cysts in the Equine Stifle. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2017;48:158-167,
3. Modaresi S, Kallem MS, Lee P, McIff TE, Toby EB, FischerKJ: Evaluation of Midcarpal Capitate Contact Mechanics in Normal, Injured and Post-operative Wrists. Clinical Biomechanics, 2017;47(8):96–102.
4. Chappell I, Sturgeon DL; Lee P; McIff TE; Toby EB, Fischer KJ: Effects of Scapholunate Ligament Injury and Surgical Repair on Wrist Cartilage T2 Relaxation Time. Journal of Musculoskeletal Research, 2017;20(1):1750006, DOI: 10.1142/S0218957717500063.
5. Tanaka ML, Fischer KJ. Structure and Management of an Engineering Senior Design Course. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 2016;138(7), 070802,
Selected Awards & Honors
Dassault Systèmes Video Jury Prize Winner: Best Simulia Project of the Year 2018
Subchondral Bone Cysts by Lance Frazer, Elizabeth Santschi, and Kenneth J. Fischer