Dr. Misra received his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, and his M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Currently, he is a Professor in the Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering Department of the University of Kansas. Dr. Misra also serves as Associate Director of the University’s Bioengineering Research Center (KU-BERC). He has broad research interests which span topics covering both basic and applied aspects of mechanics of geomaterials, interfaces and biomaterials, including analytical, computational and experimental granular micromechanics, particle and atomistic methods, multi-scale modeling, constitutive behavior, micro-macro correlations, and multi-modal material characterization using high resolution techniques. He has co-edited three books, guest edited two journal special issues, and authored more than 200 papers, and edited conference proceedings. He has delivered more than 100 presentations of his research at both national and international fora. Dr. Misra’s research has been funded by a variety of sources, including the National Science Foundation, National Institute of Health, and private industry. He is active in various professional societies, and serves as reviewer and editorial board member for a number of journals.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Particle Technology Forum, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM)